I would be honored to continue serving my Southwest Anchorage neighbors in District 24 as your State House Representative.
My wife, Trish, and I are both lifelong Alaskans born right here in Anchorage. We met each other at UAA while pursuing our education and soon married, 33 years ago. Today we are the proud parents of one daughter, Holly, and two sons, Chuck and Paul. We have been blessed to raise our children in this great state. Holly is now married to Jordan and we are the proud grandparents of our first grandchild!
Trish and I love the great outdoors. We hike and fish and embrace the best Alaska has to offer.
It has been a privilege to serve as your legislator the past four years, and to work in Alaska’s private and public sectors over the past 37 years as a construction laborer, commercial fisherman, police officer, police chief, city manager, state board and commission member, and legislator.
I am a proven and effective leader who values all Alaskans and will keep our legislature focused on the issues that matter. Understanding these are challenging times, I believe together our strength to overcome is very great, and we will continue to move Alaska toward a more secure and prosperous future.
Along the way, I’ve seen what matters most to Alaskans. I will continue to be a strong advocate for safe neighborhoods, jobs and economic freedom, responsible resource development, high-quality education, spending discipline, and the protection of our Permanent Fund. And I’ve learned what it takes to get things done, in business, solving crimes, and in the public arena.
I strongly support our free market economy and limited government, which encourages innovation and allows us the freedom to enjoy the fruits of our labor. I will vigilantly guard the liberties we cherish, which do not come to us by accident.
I am thankful for my parents and mentors who taught me the valuable lessons of working together, learning from those who see things differently, and encouraging one another through adversity.
Positions on the Issues Facing Alaska
I believe our fiscal challenges can be met with:
- Resource Development: As a recognized statewide proponent of developing Alaska’s natural resource potential, I sponsored legislation to support Alaska’s resource industries, including oil, gas, mining, fishing and tourism. These industries are the lifeblood of our state and need more support than ever to recover from repercussions of the pandemic.
- Disciplined Budgeting: I will continue to prioritize innovation and efficiencies in the delivery of critical, core services such as public safety, education, transportation, veterans and senior services.
- Spending Cap: I support a cap on spending in order to grow our savings. Our state is blessed with a significant Permanent Fund which allows us to take smart, sustainable draws from the earnings to help pay for core government services and dividends.
- New Revenue: The private sector is working tirelessly to bring our state back from the recent recession and pandemic. In consideration of any new revenue source, we must recognize a healthy and resilient economy cannot survive onerous taxes.
- Veterans: Through my service on the Military and Veterans Affairs Committee and my votes on the House floor I strongly supported job and education opportunities for military veterans and their families.
- Education: I proudly support forward funding of education to insure the stability of our budgeting process and teacher retention. As a Governor’s appointee to the Alaska Education Challenge, I championed key improvement strategies now being pursued by the Department of Education.
As a retired career public safety officer and police chief, public safety remains a priority for me.
- Successfully sponsored and passed HB49, a complete repeal and replacement of our prior approach to criminal behavior (SB91) with increased offender accountability and stronger victim protections.
- Prioritize recruitment and retention of highly trained police and firefighters to increase public safety presence and reduce response times. No amount of legislation can replace the presence of our police and firefighters.
- Public and private sector partnerships to increase investment in treatment beds and recovery housing.
- Strongly support community patrols and neighborhood watch programs, as I believe that public safety is a community effort.
My commitment to you:
- I will continue to work diligently promoting unity during this divisive time with effective leadership that puts policy over politics to bring Alaskans together.
- I will continue to break through the noise of partisanship and fight for what’s best for all of Alaska.
- I will strive to not support temporary gain to the detriment of our children and grandchildren. Our next generation deserves a state left in a better condition than we found it.
What other's say about Chuck's work:
“As one of Alaska’s longest serving and most conservative leaders, I encourage you to support Chuck Kopp on August 18. Chuck has courageously stood strong for Alaska, please join me in standing strong with him.”
~ Tom Fink, former Speaker of the Alaska House of Representatives
“Chuck is a strong defender of family values, freedom of conscience, and religious liberty. He has my unqualified endorsement in his re-election effort.”
~ Fred Dyson, Alaska Family Council Board Member, Retired Alaska State Senator, and Assemblyman
“Chuck Kopp fights for small businesses not only while in Juneau, but all year long in Anchorage. When my health club opening was delayed following the hunker down mandates and the tighter restrictions in Anchorage, Chuck went to work making the necessary calls to get the right people to listen and learn about my safety protocols. Within a few days I was able to open my business. Chuck made the effort for me when I needed it. He is truly committed to our district and gets the job done.”
~ Brian Horschel, Owner, Body Renew
“I was a prosecutor for over 19 years and had the opportunity to work with many fine dedicated police officers. One of them, Chuck Kopp, whom I have known for 17 years was perhaps the most gifted and tenacious investigator I was ever privileged to work with. His intellect was so legendary in the law enforcement community that his assistance was sometimes sought out by other police agencies to help solve their most difficult cases. My respect for Chuck as a person of the highest moral character has grown over the years. He is a tireless advocate for crime victims and for the people of Alaska. I urge his re-election to the Alaska House of Representatives.”
~ John Wolfe, Retired Alaska State Prosecutor and District Court Judge
“Chuck Kopp is the strongest proponent of Alaskan family owned businesses to ever represent south Anchorage”
~ Hugh Ashlock, Owner, Dimond Center Mall
“Chuck Kopp has the courageous leadership our district and state need during this unprecedented time. He breaks through the noise of partisanship to work for the common good of families and businesses, something that is in very short supply these days”
~ Jim Jansen, Chairman, Lynden
“Chuck Kopp is powerfully effective as our State House Representative and never quits protecting the ability of small businesses to make a living at a time when predatory interests are working against us.”
~ Fred Rosenberg, Owner, Red Robin Restaurants
“When my relative’s attacker was improperly released from custody, Chuck Kopp immediately took action to change the law to ensure this would never happen to another Alaskan family. Chuck is not all talk, he gets the job done!”
~ Lee Haywood, Retired USCG and District 24 Constituent
“As a prosecutor for 18 years, I defended the rights of victims of sexual assault, harassment and violence. I whole heartedly endorse Chuck Kopp as a candidate who will fight for justice and who has the moral and personal integrity that we need in Juneau. When Chuck wore the uniform, he risked life and limb for his community. He has no other agenda than to continue serving the public”
~ Robin Eckmann, Anchorage Retired Career Prosecutor
Alaska law requires candidates to gather information such as title and place of employment. The contribution limit is $500 for individuals per calendar year and donors must be US Citizens or permanent residents. Your donation to the campaign is not tax deductible
Paid for by Chuck Kopp for House 12010 Shore Cr. Anchorage, AK 99515